Skip to Main Content      LA FOLLETTE HOME UW Home UW Directory My UW

Robert M. La Follette
School of Public Affairs
1225 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Telephone:  608.262.3581
Fax: 608.265.3233

Last updated:
September 27, 2013


UW Logo

© Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System

Degree Programs

Some students choose to secure additional credentials while they work toward their La Follette degree. Students can choose to pursue one of the following certificate programs or add a master's degree from a different department. For more information on the following programs, please contact the La Follette Admissions Office at (608) 262-9163 or e-mail

Accelerated Program

University of Wisconsin–Madison seniors can begin taking core courses toward a master of public affairs or master of international public affairs during their last undergraduate year and finish their graduate degrees with one additional year as full-time graduate students. Accelerated students must apply and be accepted into the program by March 15th before their final year of study.

Energy Analysis and Policy

A certificate in Energy Analysis and Policy is offered by the La Follette School and the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies. The Energy Analysis and Policy curriculum prepares students for professional work with governments, utilities, consulting firms, and other organizations concerned with energy issues.

Urban Planning and Public Affairs

A double degree in Planning and Public Affairs is available from the Department of Urban and Regional Planning and La Follette School of Public Affairs. The three-year program, 66 credit program culminates in an M.S. degree in Urban and Regional Planning and a Master of Public Affairs degree. Admission must be secured from both departments, though application for admission need not be simultaneous.

Law and Public Policy

A four-year dual-degree program culminating in a J.D. degree in Law and a Master of Public Affairs or a Master of International Public Affairs is available from the Law School and La Follette School of Public Affairs.

Neuroscience and Public Policy

A dual-degree program culminating in a Ph.D. in Neuroscience and a Master of Public Affairs is available from the La Follette School and the Neuroscience Training Program. Simultaneous admission is required. Please complete one online application and indicate that you are applying to both programs. Send one copy of your transcript, resume, and personal statement to the La Follette School. The same personal statement must be used for both programs. For the Neuroscience application instructions please refer to the Neuroscience website.

Public Health and Public Policy

The Master of Public Affairs and Master of Public Health dual-degree program prepares health policy professionals as policy analysts and public managers in the increasingly important area of healthcare. Dual-degree MPA/MPH students develop a firm foundation in policy analysis and public management offered by public affairs experts and a deep substantive knowledge in public health that can only be offered through a program in the School of Medicine and Public Health. The dual degree requires 55 credits and generally takes two years and a summer to complete.