Skip to Main Content      LA FOLLETTE HOME UW Home UW Directory My UW

Robert M. La Follette
School of Public Affairs
1225 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Telephone:  608.262.3581
Fax: 608.265.3233

Last updated:
September 26, 2013


UW Logo

© Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System

Costs and Financial Assistance

In addition to the advantages offered by our exceptional faculty and curriculum, students find Madison an attractive and relatively inexpensive city in which to pursue graduate study.

Tuition and Cost of Living

The Office of the Registrar has tuition information for full-time resident and non-resident graduate students. The Graduate School has additional information about the cost of living that international students may find useful. 

Financial Assistance

Two types of fellowships are available for La Follette School of Public Affairs students based on merit for their first year.

  1. Nine La Follette School Fellowships are awarded to students each year on a merit basis. All students who apply by January 1 have priority consideration. Students are evaluated for fellowships during the application process. There is no separate application for the fellowship. La Follette awards provide a maximum of $11,000 for the first year of study. Fellows are billed for IN-STATE tuition and receive health insurance even if they are international students. Fellows are given priority consideration for project assistantships during their second year. Project assistantships provide tuition, health insurance coverage and a stipend. During the second year, project assistanst do have to pay for their student fees.
  2. University of Wisconsin Graduate School Advanced Opportunity Fellowships, are awarded to qualified targeted minority students or students from disadvantaged backgrounds. International students do not qualify for this fellowship.

Second-Year Support

Second-year support is available through project assistantships that students apply for by submitting a résumé and cover letter. There are three types of PAships:

  1. La Follette PAs are those granted to La Follette by the dean of the College of Letters and Science. Generally these PAs are assigned to work with a La Follette faculty member. Their tuition is covered, they earn a stipend, and they receive health insurance. Priority is given to La Follette fellows.
  2. Non-La Follette on-campus PAs. La Follette students are eligible to apply for other university PAships. These could include, for example, a professor in the School of Human Ecology with a grant wishing to hire a university student.
  3. External PAs are those that La Follette develops with non-university public and private agencies, persuading those agencies to provide employment by funding a PA, rather than by directly employing students on an hourly or salaried basis. 


  1. Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship
  2. Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship Program
  3. Foreign Language Area Studies
  4. Mosse Graduate Fellowship


Graduate housing provided by the university is available in Randall Tower, the Rust-Schreiner House, Davis House, and Merit House. Family housing for students is available on Harvey Street and in Eagle Heights. For more information and for application forms for university housing, contact:

Division of University Housing
Slichter Hall
625 Babcock Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

For housing off-campus, check with the Campus Assistance Center:
716 Langdon Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

International Students

International students who apply by January 1, will be considered for merit-based fellowships and scholarships. The Graduate School does not request financial documents from international applicants until a recommendation for admission has been received. Once an international student has been accepted, they send financial documents directly to the Graduate School.

Federal Financial Aid

To qualify for federal aid students complete the required documents found at this site:

U.S. citizenship, permanent residence, or resident-alien status is required for federally funded programs fellowship, loan and grant programs. International students cannot be considered for long-term loans or federal work-study programs.


Priority consideration will be given to applications for admission and fellowships submitted by January 1.