This workshop will bring together scholars interested in the topic of administrative burdens in governance on June 26-27, 2017, at ESADE Business School in Barcelona. The event is co-sponsored by ESADE, and the La Follette School of Public Affairs and the Jean Monnet European Union Center for Excellence at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Administrative burdens include the compliance, learning and psychological costs that individuals encounter in their interaction with policy implementation (for more, see Heinrich 2015; Moynihan, Herd and Harvey 2014). The workshop format will include:
- discussion of overlap between the studies of administrative burdens and regulatory burdens on businesses
- empirical studies of administrative burden in the US, Europe and developing countries
- an opportunity to present their research designs
- discussion of a research agenda for administrative burden
- consideration of the practical mechanisms by which governments could reduce burdens.