Thirteen alumni and friends of the school carried out mock interviews with 34 first-year La Follette school students, giving each practice at interviewing for a job.
“Students brought their résumés and interviewed for a mock policy analyst position,” says Outreach Specialist Bridget Pirsch, who helped to organize the session, which was part of the one-credit professional development workshop first-year students take. Associate Director Hilary Shager and Outreach Director Terry Shelton welcomed the participants.
Each student spent 30 minutes with a professional in one of 14 faculty or staff offices on three floors of the La Follette building on November 17. Each professional asked standard interview questions and gave the student the chance to tell her or his story.
The participating alumni and friends were:
- Ruth Anderson, 2001 Wisconsin Women in Government seminar graduate, assistant vice president of administrative services, University of Wisconsin System
- Brian Bell, 2010, elections and ethics specialist, Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
- Alison Bergum, 2005, lead researcher on What Works for Health
- Tim Casper, 1999, senior executive and special assistant to the president at Madison Area Technical College
- Bill Cosh, 1993, agency spokesperson, Office of Communications for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Roland Couey, 1982, director, Bureau of Budget and Facilities Management, Wisconsin Department of Corrections
- Jami Crespo, 2012, policy analyst, Public Health Madison & Dane County
- Katie Herrem, 2008, juvenile program services supervisor, Wisconsin Department of Corrections
- John Montgomery, 1977, retired as division administrator, Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
- Kim Reniero, 1995, program and policy analyst advanced, Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Carrie Schneck, 2007, budget and policy analyst, Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Rebecca Schwei, 1995, director of the Bureau of Performance Management of the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families
- John Tuohy, 1983, director of regional operations, Wisconsin Department of Children and Families